Search This Blog

Wednesday 16 December 2015

Why are you a Christian? / Strength in sharing

A question for everybody on here; one that I'm sure we've all been asked from time to time... Why are you a Christian?

I've decided to post this question after being inspired by a Facebook post from the Archbishop of Canterbury; Justin Welby giving his answer to this question. Here's a link if you're interested in reading his full answer: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=923102587743888&id=164961400224681

But here's just a short excerpt:
"That's why I'm a Christian. And that's why, whatever happens, whatever stupid mistakes, I know that even at the end of it all, even if everything else fails, God doesn't - and He will not fail, even to end of my life."

I guess it's hard to be prepared to answer that question on the spur of the moment, sometimes we may even try and avoid the question altogether so we don't say something stupid... Believe me, I'm the expert at saying stupid things. Unfortunately, that doesn't let us off; as Peter writes in his first epistle:

But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 1Peter 3:15

The key in this verse for me is the last part 'gentleness and respect'. It's so easy to get carried away and start preaching at people when someone asks us why we're Christians. But that isn't the point of telling our stories and giving our answers; it's to be witnesses and explain who we are, and more importantly why we believe and why we're here.

I believe that we can be stronger and better together when we speak with one voice and share our stories and answers with each other. I hope that those that read this will think about the question of why they're Christians and answer it for yourselves personally and privately and maybe in the comment section on this blog or on the Facebook page (link at the end of the blog) or twitter (@inspiredfaith88).

Here's my answer:
I'm a Christian because I believe that God is personally involved with and interested in all of us and loves us, but more than that, that we are a part of God, as He is a part of us, and we are a part of each other. Through Him we are all connected as a global family and He will not allow us to face the trials of this life alone. The most important reason of course is that God through Christ has taken a weak, short tempered and sometimes broken individual and made me a beloved son.

So it's over to you, to think about your answer and as I said to maybe share something of your journey, but of course no pressure...



Follow on Twitter: @InspiredFaith88

And please check out the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Inspired-by-Faith-640803452678981/

No comments :

Post a Comment